Saturday, May 22, 2010

Mayne Island Celebrates May Day

Each May long weekend Mayne Island celebrates May Day. Each year I join in the celebrations and my husband takes some of the pictures. This year he took all of them.

Expect this one.
The Morris dancers...dance

The pole carriers...carry



We follow...



them to the park.


Where they raise the May pole.
We admire the pole.


Then we follow the Green Man over to the labyrinth.


The old May Queen enters the labyrinth. You see her. Don't you? She's in the pretty yellow dress.


What will she do?


She'll crown the new May queen.


Yes, that is what she will do.



Then the Green Man says a word or two to help our hearts sing with the thoughts of the coming summer.



Then we return to the May pole.


Do you see me? I'm standing in front of the tree.


I'm watching the children dance.


Then it's my turn to join in the dancing.

We weave while we dance.

Yeah, we're women -- we have to multitask.

Neighbours all, join hands and dance.

No comments: